History - overview
St Michael's church dates back to 1189. The first building was probably made of wood, but a 13th century building still exists in the form of the Lady Chapel. A new ring of six bells was cast in 1723, and the tower was rebuilt in 1731. There was a major rebuilding of the church nave and chancel in 1855. In 1993 a large extension was added on the north side. Since 2010 there has been a major renovation of the church interior, and the roof has been re-tiled.
The original parish of Tilehurst covered a very large area - from Reading West railway station all the way out to Calcot and Theale. During the 19th and 20th centuries, when the population increased considerably, several daughter churches were built, and these were then turned into separate parishes.
Many people have contributed to the details in this documentary record of our much-loved parish church.