The 2012 Restoration Project - in pictures.
March 29th 2012 - They made it happen - The Builders, Stonemasons, Electricians, Furniture Restorers and Sound Engineers.Michael Jo Raphael Samuel Nick Malcolm Wes Patrick
March 29th 2012 - The final push is made to complete the tiling and re-ordering of the Church.Behind the Choir stalls on the south side flooring is replaced. Behind the Choir stalls on the north side by the organ flooring is replaced. Behind the Choir stalls on the north side by the organ flooring is replaced. The Choir stalls on the north side by the organ are reposistioned. The main floor area is prepared and polished. The main floor area is prepared and polished. The stonemasons discuss their progress. The main floor area is prepared and polished again!. The Pews start to reappear. Tiling around the Ledgerstone is near completion. Stonework for the lectern is complete. Work begins to clear up the back of the church. Work begins to clear up the back of the church. Final resiting of the pews. Final resiting of the pews. Nearing the end of the work in the Chancel. Nearing the end of the work in the Chancel. Nearing the end of the work in the Chancel. The North Aisle altar takes shape The North Aisle altar takes shape The William Morris window gets a clean. The Organ pipes have been cleaned and restored and then replaced. The new tiling in the high altar area. The new tiling in the high altar area. The Lady Chapel door is cleaned and polished. The main Church door is polished and cleaned.
March 2012 - The Zinzan tomb is lifted and turned 180 degrees.
The PCC and Diocesan Achaeologist have agreed that the ledger stone covering the Zinzan tomb will be left uncovered. It will be lifted and turned 180 degrees so that the head of the stone is nearest the Altar. The stone covering the tomb of Samuel Norris a past Rector of St Michael's will be recovered with tiles.
Tobi Corney, a professional photographer (see www.tcphoto.co.uk), agreed to take some high quality photographs of the ledger stone and other areas of the Church and these will become available in due course in several forms such as greetings cards. These will go on sale after the restoration is complete.The uncovered ledger stone is prepared for lifting The uncovered ledger stone is prepared for lifting Scaffolding is placed over the stone. The lift begins. The lift begins The underside of the stone is revealed to a select few. Nothing is found or seen only a covering of flint stones. The Ledger stone having been turned and replaced in a straight position. Re-tiling under the choir stalls begins Tiling completed under the top end of the choir stalls. The remainder of the tiles under the choir stalls is finished. The Choir stalls are prepared for re-fitting. The Choir stalls are prepared for re-fitting. The front part of the Choir stalls are now in place. The front section of the Choir stalls are now in place on this side of the Chancel. The Stonemason at his work. The Stonemason rebuilding the lectern stand area. The Electrician hard at work on the electrical cabinet under the tower.
Photo by kind permission of Tobi Corney Photography
The Portrait pictures above are of Henry Zinzan and his wife Jacoba and were provided by Trudy Seers a distant relative of the Zinzans. Their origin is unknown.
March 2012 - Tombs are uncovered in the Chancel area.
Whilst clearing the tiles in the chancel, the builder has uncovered two tombs. These tombs have been covered by floor tiles since the 1855 restoration work and have therefore not been seen for over 150 years let alone photographed.
The tombs belong to Henry Zinzan and his wife Jacoba (nee Vanlore) who died in 1676 and 1677 respectively and of Samuel Norris, a past Rector of St Michael's who died in 1710.
Further research of the Zinzan tomb has identified living relatives in Australia (and across the Globe) who, along with many others, have been researching the Zinzan family for many years now. They are obviously excited that we have uncovered long lost family relatives. A book has been prepared from the research work that Michael Swift (a Zinzan family member), who now lives in Australia, has produced, along with photographs of the tomb we have taken and of portraits of Henry Zinzan and Jacoba. The story of the Zinzan family, their links to the crown and how they came to be in Tilehurst makes very interesting reading for those that like family and social history. If you would like to read this book please speak to the Rector.The uncovered tomb in the Chancel. Looking down the aisle to the main doorway from the tomb A closeup of the Zinzan tomb The Zinzan heraldic symbols. A portrait of Henry_Zinzan - source unknown A portait of Jacoba Zinzan (nee Vanlore) - source unknown Sir Sigismund Zinzan - father of Henry Zinzan - source unknown Samuel Norris - a Rector of Tilehurst 1710